www.sarajaneboyersbooks.com
(coming soon!)

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Carmageddon/FirstPicsSaturday





From the Sunset Boulevard Bridge looking North.
Home by 5:30 after being out and about in WLA since 1pm. No traffic. Not on Sunset Boulevard which is usually a nightmare as it narrows before the 405. Not on North Sepulveda, the main artery through the pass other than the 405, the one I am old enough to remember taking from the beach to the ever-so-distant San Fernando Valley before there was a 405.

I was racing up (but not too fast. There are HUNDREDS of police and CHP out there!) Sepulveda because of a kind offer from Officers Karen Fowler (sp?) & Sara Faden of the Media Relations Section of LAPD who invited me to join the 1:30pm "Media Walk" on the 405, right south of the Mulholland Bridge. And there at 1:30 I was, walking down the exit ramp North of the Skirball Bridge, onto the north side of the 405. First pics downloaded here, including some on the south side of the 405 (I sneaked over).






For someone who has spent her life since age one in LA, this was like being in a candy store. I photographed and photographed with both my larger Canon as well as my trusty Leica D-Lux5, the camera I've been using throughout the Gridlock series.

And then, what I did not realize: the public could still enter the southbound side of the freeway from the Skirball Bridge and enter I did to find myself alone on this immense landscape of yellow and white stripes. I resisted the urge to weave but was in this state of heightened awareness as I rolled along the vacant concrete both north and south; the hewn mountains that formed both the natural and the later widened Sepulveda Pass; and me.



Alone I remained until Sunset Boulevard when a second car entered and with only one more addition around Wilshire Boulevard, we danced the freeways until south of the E/W 10. I was in an adrenaline rush.



Above: first pics from my walk on the freeway and a moment on the Sunset Boulevard Bridge, also in transition/widening. More to come. Still downloading.