www.sarajaneboyersbooks.com
(coming soon!)

Friday, May 8, 2009

Butterfly


One of the perks of a home studio: watching the natural world live around you while you work.
One of the disadvantages of a home studio: the distraction of the natural world.

Most of the time, I lean toward the perk side.

I am continuing the website work, refining the statements and fortuitously, just yesterday a friend sent on a slew of quotes by the photographer, Robert Adams.

I am presently thinking of this one, "At our best and most fortunate we make pictures because of what stands before our camera, to honor what is greater and more interesting than we are. We never accomplish this perfectly, though in return we are given something perfect--a sense of inclusion. Our subject thus redefines us, and is part of the biography by which we want to be known."

And wow, looking for the source of the quote (remember I'm a writer as well and editors always want the source... ), I just found this cool site, Photoquotes.com! That said, I cannot find the source of the quote so I am at least listing the two Robert Adams books from which it may have been taken:

Beauty in Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional ValuesBEAUTY IN PHOTOGRAPHY: ESSAYS IN DEFENSE OF TRADITIONAL VALUES, Aperture 2005


Why People PhotographWHY PEOPLE PHOTOGRAPH, Aperture 2005

Note that I'm giving the URL's for Aperture rather than Amazon. The writer in me wants always to go to the publisher or independent bookstore first. However if you just want to buy a book of mine, please do it wherever you can!

So... back to the big "D's" - distraction and diversion, part of the fabric of my life it seems - at top is a lovely butterfly just outside my window. Not a Monarch for those I haven't seen lately in this former canyon home for them, but still pretty terrific.